Pathology First was formed in 2014 and is a joint venture between Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and private sector partners – Integrated Pathology Partnerships (iPP). Pathology First delivers full laboratory services to a population of 750,000 patients and over 100 GP practices in the South East.
Pathology First brings together the skills and experience of its partners and their parent companies to strengthen the quality, delivery and efficiency of pathology services, providing:
- fully accredited to either CPA standards or ISO 15189:2012 standards.
- Modern, refurbished, central laboratory in Basildon which opened in February 2016.
- new, state of the art equipment;
- optimised layouts that ensure the most efficient use of time and resources;
- industry tested, robust IT systems that are fully integrated and utilised between laboratories and referral sites; and
- deployment of international best working practices that deliver efficiency savings.
Pathology First operates a robust, clinically led, integrated governance structure to deliver services across multiple trusts. Our quality management system ensures our analytical procedures are of the highest quality.
Pathology First carries out more than 900 different types of tests across the following pathology disciplines:
- Haematology and coagulation
- Blood Transfusion
- Cellular Pathology
You can find out more information about the testing carried out at each of our sites in the Test Index.
Currently Operations Director for Pathology First, Deb is operationally responsible for all aspects of Pathology service, quality, transformation and performance delivery.
She has extensive strategic, operational and leadership experience in NHS Laboratories and the wider clinical support diagnostics division and has led service re-design, re-engineering, transformation and change management in both the NHS and Pathology First.
Deb holds Fellowship status with the Institute of Biomedical Sciences and has a MBA from Henley Business School and has a professional background in Cellular Pathology.