Southwest Pathology Services (SPS) was formed in 2012, and is a joint venture between Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust, Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and iPP. SPS delivers full laboratory services to a population of 500,000 patients and over 100 GP practices in Somerset.
SPS brings together the skills and experience of its partners and their parent companies to strengthen the quality, delivery and efficiency of pathology services, providing:
- fully accredited, modern, refurbished, central laboratories.
- new, state of the art equipment;
- optimised layouts that ensure the most efficient use of time and resources;
- industry tested, robust IT systems that are fully integrated and utilised between laboratories and referral sites; and
- deployment of international best working practices that deliver efficiency savings
SPS operates a robust, clinically led, integrated governance structure to deliver services across multiple trusts. Our quality management system ensures our analytical procedures are of the highest quality.
We are committed to delivering quality services across the region, and all laboratories are fully accredited and compliant with the following guidelines and agencies:
SPS carry out more than 1,400 different types of tests across the following Pathology disciplines:
- Clinical biochemistry;
- Haematology and Blood Transfusion;
- Microbiology and Infection control;
- Central Services and Pathology Management
You can find out more information about the testing carried out at each of our sites in the Test Index.
Currently General Manager for SPS, she is operationally responsible for all aspects of SPS service, quality and performance delivery.
She has extensive operational and managerial experience in NHS Laboratories and has led service re-design and re-engineering in both the NHS and SPS.
Jill holds Fellowship status with the Institute of Biomedical Sciences and Membership status with the Institute of Healthcare Management and has a professional background in Chemical Pathology.